Saturday, July 12, 2008

What can racehorse owners do to make money?

Throughout my lifetime, I have watched countless new owners jump into to the horse business and burn through many hundreds of thousands of dollars. Not good for them, not good for racing and especially bad for horses.

With millions of dollars at stake in the thoroughbred industry, lucrative state-bred programs, claiming opportunities and ever increasing purse structures the sport of horseracing is a great place to make money. The business of racing is fun and virtually recession proof. Ownership through partnerships now make it possible for many new people to become active participants in the Sport of Kings.

One of the most successful new owners in racing is my friend Roddy Valente. Over the past several years, Roddy and trainer Bruce Levine have amassed a stellar record of wins with value-based claimers and NY-Breds. This year alone, Valente’s stable has earned over $777,000 (as of July 10, 2008) and his top charge, undefeated home-bred BUSTIN STONES, is scheduled to run next in the Grade 2 $250,000 Alfred G. Vanderbilt Handicap at Saratoga on July 26. I spoke with this dynamic owner-trainer team at the O! for UnbridledTV and Roddy articulated just what new owners need to do to achieve success on the track… Click the video (plays 7 mins) to find out what you can do to be a profitable player in the racing game …

4 comments:

lj hearn said...

Hi Susan,

I've just watched this and all your other video's on Unbridled. Great job! I don't know where you got my e-mail address from but glad you have found me so I could enjoy your Unbridled Racing Stable and the video's. Very informative stuff there. I'm a retired jockey and looking to race again if I can get myself back into shape like I once had been. I own a horse, who did race but I have since retired him to make him my pony horse. He's my dream horse and I didn't want to risk his safety in racing. Not that ponying is always safe but it's safer than racing. Really wanted only to say that I very much have enjoyed your web site and all the info therein.

Thanks so Much for Sending!!
lj (jock4hire)

Unbridled Racing said...

lj,

Thank you so much for the kind comments. It is great to hear from a colleague, best wishes with all your equine endeavors. Susan.

lj hearn said...

Hi Again Susan,

I don't know many trainers/owners in the N.Y. area, and haven't been online much at all since arriving in Houston a few weeks ago. But I'll be sending your site out to my mailing list which is 500+ strong in hopes to get some other horse enthusiasts, both in and out of the business over here to visit your web site. You have much to say, and as I've stated before, I very much have enjoyed your site. I know that many of my friends will enjoy it as much as I have.

Thanks for getting back to me and I'll be in touch for sure.

Smile, it'll give your face something to do!
lj (jock4hire)

Anonymous said...

Great view of "the goods" in the Bond video!

You should do well attracting owners to your stable.

Sign me up.