Friday, September 28, 2012

Aqueduct Racing Officials Faulted in Horse Deaths - NYTimes.com

I was delighted to learn that Gov. Cuomo's task force investigation will be leading to some reform of pain-masking drug use  and clenbuterol abuse on the backstretch. What they uncovered validated what I went through with Bourbon Bandit.

So...here is an x-ray of Bourbon Bandit's knee in which he broke a bone (the equine knee has 5 bones) racing at Aqueduct on November 5, 2011. His breakdown went unreported by NYSRWB, when I inquired why?,  I was told, "because he was not vanned off the track". I am still trying to find out what Bourbon Bandit was racing on that he did not feel the pain of a broken bone until two days later.....???



In today's NY Times article, Aqueduct Racing Officials Faulted in Horse DeathsHoward B. Glaser, Mr. Cuomo’s director of state operations, said in an interview, “At the New York Racing Association, concern for the health of the horses finished a distant second to economics”.

CLICK TO READ ARTICLE IN NY TIMES

...Thank you Gov. Cuomo for caring enough about horses to be the change that they need to see. These changes are a step in the right direction.

I stepped up and out about the abuse to my horse Bandit suffered...how many others are out there? Do you care enough to speak up? Please comment and share your thoughts, Susan.

No comments: